Friday, February 20, 2009

Lauren breaks her arm

So, we've had some excitement this past week. On Wed. 2/11 Lauren broke her arm. I was downstairs fixing dinner, and Nate was downstairs on his laptop, when we heard this big crash and lots of screaming coming from upstairs. At first I didn't think anything was seriously wrong. If I went running every time there was a big crash and screaming I would be in such great shape!! So I asked Nate to go check on what happened. As the screaming intensified, and Payton started yelling also, I took off running. It turns out that Lauren was standing on my workout ball in front of the TV in the loft, and she fell off the ball, and grabbed the TV for support. As she fell, the TV came down on top of her and bent her left arm backwards, and snapped both her radius and ulna. Payton was the one to pick the TV off of Lauren, and that is why Payton started yelling. Lauren's arm was clearly broken, bent in a kind of Z looking way. Nate was so calm, and knew exactly what to do. I was shaking so bad, I almost spilled the Motrin I was trying to give Lauren before we headed to the ER. On the way to the hospital, Lauren had calmed down a lot and now was only crying a little, and mostly about having to get a cast on her arm. She was upset because only boys at school break their arm and she didn't want to have a cast.
Her arm was too swollen to get a cast right away. At the hospital they wrapped it up and gave her a sling. She couldn't get a cast for 5 days. I was so scared that she would hurt herself again. I could picture Dallin doing something wild and hitting her arm, or her running and tripping. She wasn't allowed to go to school, or do anything. Nate and I even took her with us on Valentine's day so that she wouldn't be at home. It was a very long weekend. Then on Monday she finally got her cast. She deliberated over colors all weekend, and decided on purple. She is in no pain now, and I have to warn her about not hurting someone else with her hard cast. It was fun to have everyone in the family sign her cast. Even Landon signed his name, and Grandma and Grandpa Morris, and Chris got to sign it also.

I want to remember the small blessings that we received with this little event. Yes, it is a bad thing to break your arm, but there were many good things also. First of all, Nate was home. I'm sure I could have handled it myself, but not nearly as efficiently as Nate, nor as calmly. Next, we had a $150 co-pay for the ER, and luckily we had gotten a direct deposit just that day, so we had the money available. One day earlier, and I don't know what we would have done. Another small blessing is that it was Lauren's left arm, and not the right one, which she uses everyday to write with. The break also happened at a good time. She only missed one full day of school. She missed Thursday, Friday was a 1/2 day, and she caught the last hour of it, and Monday was a holiday, so she was good to go back to school on Tuesday with her new hard cast. The doctor also said that she would heal fast and she only has to have the cast on for 3 weeks. If something bad has to happen, then at least I can see the little blessings, and I know that Heavenly Father is watching out for us, and Lauren in particular.


2 comments:

Rachelle and sometimes Katelyn said...

Ah Lauren looks so cute. I am glad everything turned out good. Tell her she made a good color choice. :) That would be so scary.

Kim Hodges said...

Holy Crap!! I can't believe that stuff. Well I am happy for you that things went great, and that Lauren is ok. What an experience. I am not looking forward to when Ethan or Lilly start getting to that point. Both Trent and I are accident prone, and so are kids are doomed. Love you and miss you.